For more than 167 years, we have provided a comprehensive range of acute, sub-acute and community public health services to our local community within Melbourne’s west and north, as well as to regional and rural Victorians and interstate patients and consumers.
Today we provide care through three key services:
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital
- NorthWestern Mental Health
- The Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity
The Royal Melbourne Hospital is our acute and sub-acute academic health service. As one of the largest hospitals in Victoria, The Royal Melbourne Hospital in Parkville provides a comprehensive range of health services across two campuses. Our City campus provides general and specialist medical and surgical acute services. Sub-acute services, including rehabilitation and aged care, outpatient and community programs are provided from our Royal Park campus.
NorthWestern Mental Health is our mental health service. As the largest provider of mental health services in Victoria, NorthWestern Mental Health works in partnership with consumers and carers to provide a comprehensive suite of general and specialist services to youth, adult and aged people within the community, residential and health services.
The Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity is our infection and immunity service. The Doherty, a partnership with the University of Melbourne, aims to be a world-class institute that combines research into infectious disease and immunity with teaching excellence, reference laboratory diagnostic services, epidemiology and clinical services.
Our vision is to be First in Care, Research and Learning
- Caring – We treat everyone with kindness and compassion
- Excellence – We are committed to learning and innovation
- Integrity – We are open, honest and fair
- Respect – We treat everyone with respect and dignity at all times
- Unity – We work together for the benefit of all
We aim to achieve our vision by focussing on six strategic priorities:
- Care and outcomes – Deliver outstanding care and outcomes
- Patient and consumer experience – Partner with and empower our patients and consumers
- Innovation and Transformation – Embrace innovative thinking in everything we do
- Workforce and culture – Enable our people to be the best they can be
- Collaboration – Maximise the potential of our partnerships
- Sustainability – Be a recognised, respected and sustainable health service
The Royal Melbourne Hospital is one of two adult trauma centres in Victoria and is home to one of the three nodes of the Melbourne Brain Centre, a state‑of-the-art neurosciences facility offering new hope for Australians suffering from acute brain episodes such as stroke and degenerative brain disorders.